Following my tradition of copying Katherine's New Years post, here is 2011, though she's managed to beat me this time.
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
- Plenty of awesome technical (Sequencing) related stuff at work.
- Got to work with real Whole Genome Sequence data
- Attended a Scientific confrence
- Traveled (domestically) for work
- Found out that Cider is drinkable
- Joined a regular pub quiz team
- Went to a world cup rugby game
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for the next year?
- As always I'm still following
one from about 8 years back which was to make no more New Years
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
- Still nope, thankfully
5. What countries did you visit?
- None unfortunately, though looking alot better on this front for 2012.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
- A lover or relationship deeper than a friendship, which unsurprisingly is the same as last year
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched in your memory, and why?
- Hmm Feb 22nd I guess, that's earthquakes two years in a row even though I was there for neither.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
- Getting the LIC PhD Studentship/Scholarship, (A new Job effectively for the third year in a row), this one's going to result in a lot of changes, less money medium term though much better long term prospects if all goes well, and effectively commits me to working for LIC for the next 6 or so years.
9. What was your biggest failure of the year?
- Same as last year probably to be more outgoing, failure to actively seek out new people or find a relationship
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
- Nothing really fills me with amazement, the tablet is cool and the books/games were interesting but that's it really
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
- A certain percentage of the worlds population involved in Arab spring and the Occupy movement.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Same as last year I guess.
14. Where did most of your money go?
-Rent, Savings, Books and Games
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
-The PhD scholarship I guess, everything's going to change. Nervous and excited at the same time.
16. What song will always remind of you of 2011?
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
- Happier again I got to spend a large part of the year working with Sequencing data and other interesting problems at work and then was offered the PhD position a few weeks before Christmas!
b) fatter or thinner?
- No change from last year seem to have stabilised would be nice to drop a little more, even though
it's currently on the lighter side of a perfectly healthy weight.
c) richer or poorer?
- Richer, pay rises + a decent job tends to result in this.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
- Getting to know people/make new friends
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
-Spending money, as always and probably spending too much time sitting around in the flat.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
-With family in Chch
21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
- I wish
22. What was your favourite TV programme?
- None really this year
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
- Not really, still hate stupidity, especially the religious type
- oh and any one who smokes, I really really hate smokers!
24. What was the best book you read?
- I've read so many I'm lossing track.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
26. What did you want and get?
- The Studentship role at work.
27. What did you want and not get?
28. What was your favourite film of this year?
29. What did you do on your birthday and how old did you turn?
-Turned 27, absolutely nothing different from a normal day
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
- Same as always, casual
32. What kept you sane?
- Books and Friends
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
- none, they're all idiots
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
- Talk of mining conservation land, first time I've written a rather annoyed email to a politico
35. Who did you miss?
- Not so many people this year, getting used to living away from everyone
36. Who was the best new person you met?
- A couple of new work colleagues, excellent people
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
- Hmm maybe jump at all chances, it's worth it even if you don't quite get there, though I guess I already knew that.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
- Uhm... I'll pass on this one