20131. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
- (2012) travelled to the USA for a conference (San diego)
- (2012) moved to Belgium to live (Liege)
- (2012) started a PhD in Genomics
- Explored parts of Belgium
- Visited Lake Tekapo
- Spent a week in New York (conference and a couple of days in NYC)
- Spent 3 weeks in Seattle! (Courses)
- Couple of days near Chicago
- Tried to learn French...
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for the next year?
- As always the one from 10 years back to make no new ones
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
- (2012) J&J
- Friends from work (S&J)
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
- Belgium, Germany, Netherlands, USA
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
- A published paper
7. What dates from 2013 will remain etched in your memory, and why?
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
-Lots of Travel & PhD work
9. What was your biggest failure of the year?
- Getting the 1st paper written & learning French
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
- Nothing significant.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
- A very nice Camera :)
12. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
- Politicians as usual
13. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
- Nothing specific
14. Where did most of your money go?
- Living costs
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
- My PhD and some associated research
- The new Camera
16. What song will always remind you of 2013?
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
- Much the same
b) fatter or thinner?
- Much the same
c) richer or poorer?
- Much the same (being a student slows things down) $ wise, Richer in experience
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
- Travelling around Europe
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
- Procrastinating, sitting in Air planes
20. How did you spend Christmas?
- (2012) With new friends in Liege
- With an old friend from High school days
21. Did you fall in love in 2013?
- I wish
22. What was your favourite TV programme?
- Psyco Pass
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
-No one specifically
24. What was the best book you read?
- To many to count
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
26. What did you want and get?
- New friends
27. What did you want and not get?
- A paper published
28. What was your favourite film of this year?
- Probably the second Hobbit
29. What did you do on your birthday and how old did you turn?
- Nothing, turned 29.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
- gf probably hard to know though and life is good as it is
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
32. What kept you sane?
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
- Didn't meet any.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
- Stupidity of current ideologically driven government actions
35. Who did you miss?
- The Kiwi (and NZ) crowd
36. Who was the best new person you met?
- Lots of people in the Lab
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.